Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Lorde! Onstage Style, and What She Wears to Feel Empowered


One of the most compelling things about Ella Yelich-O’Connor (a.k.a. Lorde), is the way she seems so in control. Unlike many teen pop idols, she chose her own stage name, coproduced her own album, and speaks honestly about what she likes—as well as what she doesn’t. Listening to her album, Pure Heroine, you hear the quiet state of teenage ennui, you sense the feeling of looking at the world with a distinct point of view. It’s a confidence of perspective that most of us spend our lives cultivating. So it’s no surprise that we’ve turned our eye to her fashion choices. On Tuesday, Lorde took the stage at the MoMA Film Benefitin a black Chanel dress, looking part refined goth, part chic cultural ambassador. And at no point did she tear the look off to reveal a skimpy leotard. Today she turns seventeen, and though she’s still young, Lorde’s fast rise to fame and the way she’s harnessed her platform to talk about feminism and the work of creating good music has lifted pop audiences into a more grown-up state of mind right along with her. And when anyone’s mind draws you in, it’s natural to want to understand and emulate their style. Vogue sat down with the singer to find out: How does such a rare person dress?

Tell me about what you like to wear onstage.
Onstage I basically wear a mix of long fitted dresses and quite tailored pants and shirt situations. Both kind of make me perform differently. Clothes onstage have to be functional and have to serve a certain purpose, but also transport people to a world. I definitely feel more feminine in a dress, whereas in pants you’re less restricted, so I think I move in probably more of an androgynous way [in pants].

What shoes do you like to wear onstage?
I have a really weird shoe game. I basically wear things like this [points to chunky oxfords] or quite chunky platform sneakers. I like to keep it stable down south. 

Who are the artists who influence your style?
Stevie Nicks is someone whose style I’ve always loved, even though that’s not really reflected in what I wear. Her vibe is very beautiful. But I elect to dress with strength and with power, so I really like Grace Jones and David Bowie and people who had a real strong silhouette. I find that really compelling. But I also wear a lot of quite witchy black stuff. 

Speaking of Stevie Nicks, with your birthday coming up, you’re literally on the “Edge of Seventeen” right now. 
Oh, my gosh, like, two days! I know it’s so good. I’m going to listen to all the seventeen songs, like “Anthems for a 17 Year Old Girl” by Broken Social Scene, too. I’m going to have a moment with it. I have kind of a day off. The [“Team”] music video shoot is the next day, so I’m not sure what I’m gonna do. I’ve got some friends in New York, so I think they’re planning on taking me out. 

Do you feel that fashion can transform how you feel?
One hundred percent. That’s so important for me. I feel so different in situations depending on what I’m wearing.

What do you wear to feel empowered?
My go-to empowering thing is definitely a strong pair of pants. I’ve been wearing a lot of wide-leg pants at the moment. I have one beautiful pair of Simone Rocha pants that I love—these incredible black pants.

What was the first big purchase you made after the release of your album,Pure Heroine?
My big thing . . . I was in London and I went to Dover Street Market and I bought this Comme des Garçons kind of boxy—you know the black pinafores with the straps?—I got one of those with the shirt. That was my gem, my outfit. Then I went to buy a gray tailored cardigan, and it was the most incredible thing I’d ever seen, but then my card got declined, so I couldn’t buy it! [Laughs] But I’m going back. 

Do you find your style changing as you get a little older?
I definitely feel like in the last six months my wardrobe has streamlined. I figured out a palette that I like, and I feel like what I wear is more consistent. There are less crazy, thrifted pieces. It’s a little more grown-up, which is cool. It’s definitely similar, but it’s nice.


http://www.vogue.com/vogue-daily/article/happy-birthday-lorde-the-singer-on-turning-seventeen-her-onstage-style-and-what-she-wears-to-feel-empowered/#1





0 comentarios:

Post a Comment

Karla Boggiano. Powered by Blogger.

© Glamboggi, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena